Thursday, June 5, 2014

St. Vincent - St. Vincent Review


How, in Tanner's opinion, did Annie Clark's fourth solo album fare? More after the jump!

St. Vincent – St. Vincent Review
     Annie Clark, or as she is better known, St. Vincent, has crafted an album that is the lovechild of pure pop music and it’s eccentric and dark lover. This record is St. Vincent’s fourth solo album, although it follows up the wonderful amalgam Love This Giant, her collaborative work with David Byrne. St. Vincent is, among other things, self-aware. Every hiccup or mistake seems placed purposefully, like some sort of artistic signature.

    This record isn’t for the faint of heart; not because of vulgarity, but the sound can be off-putting to those exposed only to modern radio station. It’s this pop-but-not sound that gives St. Vincent such an intrigue over multiple play-throughs. It has the catchiness of any classic pop record, but the nuance to keep that catchiness interesting.

    St. Vincent is as smooth an experience as any I’ve had listening to an album this year. Usually, I find tracks that I like over others, and this album certainly has its standouts. Where it differs is the songs that aren’t the frontrunners. These “lesser” songs, and I use that term tentatively, are just as sound as my favorites, and I feel that this record is one that each song is someone’s favorite.

    One arbitrary concern I have about any album before I hear it is number of tracks. However little it matters at the end, I still notice when one album has 24 songs while St. Vincent has 11. I’m pleased to say that the album seems much plusher than that seemingly low number. In fact, some songs (especially “Huey Newton”) feel like two songs combined.

    My critiques of this album are frankly borderline nonexistent. I personally think this is hands-down the recordto beat for 2014. It’s rare that I am this blown away by an album. From its horn-heavy (thanks, David Byrne) funktastic single that is “Digital Witness” to its mesmerizing electro-rock “Bring Me Your Loves,” St.Vincent has her best album in her fourth eponymous installation. 



No comments:

Post a Comment