Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Cazzette ft. The High - Sleepless Music Video Review


What did Tanner think of the highly polarizing music video/film? See after the break!



As a preface I want everyone reading to know that I am legitimately torn on how I feel about this video. I highly recommend watching it before reading (or at least having it open in a second window) because it is unlike any video I have reviewed thus far. Alright, preface finished.

If you haven't heard the song before seeing the video, I would go listen separate from this because it is freaking awesome. I found out about Cazzette a couple of years back, and they keep cranking out incredibly catchy tunes and Sleepless does not waver from that trend. However, this video is more like a small movie containing the song as its sole soundtrack than a true visual exhibit acting as a vehicle for the song. More of my opinion on that later in the review.

The video opens with Aaron Abrams (aka that guy from Hannibal, at least that's what I know him from) romancing a woman on the wall of his gorgeous house. He then goes to tinkle, which we have the pleasure of hearing. Music isn't heard in the video until roughly a minute and a half in, which isn't the greatest way to start. Our female with great taste in music then begins to sing along as she pours wine. They then dance to that damn catchy song which prompts Abrams to ask who the artist is. This is a great self-shot by the band, with the explanation between Cassette and Cazzette sounding like it has happened similarly across many places. Something that is cheeky but a tad far fetched is the lass not knowing what a Casette tape is. By the looks of it she's at least twenty, I'm assuming mid-twenties. I'm nineteen at current and I vividly remember cassettes. 

As the romancing progresses, we actual get a decent amount of song time. She then goes either to change or take her turn at that toilet. Either way, she puts a hold on things and we get the sense that something is up. Abrams' sliding glass door is ajar, then he looks around suspiciously. He turns down the song (which doesn't make any sense in a music video) as he goes to check the rest of the house. After he checks on Monica (the girl) and some doors, we see a woman standing in the middle of his kitchen. Then things get weird.

We get the sense from the dialogue that this is a former couple. Then woman number two says that she can't sleep without him. Dialogue carries on briefly until WAHBAM! Second lady stabs him. Except without the wahbam, and more realistically silence. So I guess she can sleep with the dead body? Motive is unclear.

Woman number one witnesses this, and the rest of the video is actually really creepy. Woman two tries to reason with Monica, but then decides that isn't working and starts chasing her. The video closes with an accidental step on a remote, restarting the song as the chase happens off camera and screams are heard pretty well.

I usually have an idea of what a music video could be anytime I hear a song. For this song in particular, I was expecting something romantically driven but much more lighthearted and playful. So I was genuinely surprised by this interpretation of the Cazzette song.

I have two conflicting opinions on this one. I partially think this idea is really well delivered and solidly acted, edited, etc. My other opinion is that this is a pretty crappy way to first experience this song. I've found many artists and songs just by perusing the annals of YouTube, and if someone like me were to not know this song and just click the video, it's unclear to me whether or not this would be the best way to deliver such a solid track.

I enjoyed the video as a short film, but it's unclear if I enjoyed it as a music video. I know this will be a polarizing video, but I personally am giving it a 7.5.



No comments:

Post a Comment